I grew up & live in Croydon and was one of Turf’s cofounding team assembled by Alice Cretney in 2013.
Initially I led on marketing at Turf, moving into overseeing Turf’s overall development strategy and then CoDirectorship in 2021.
Over Turf’s history I’ve done a bit of everything; I created a lot of Turf’s design work, print work & visual identity (except for our iconic logo which is by Bethany Baker), have managed & produced items for the shop, managed Turf’s studios & spaces. I also designed & made this website (so please tell me if anything’s broken…)
Things I’m interested in:
- Accidents & serendipity, the sublime vs the banal
- Using humour to process trauma & poke at difficult things
- Hyperlocalism & degrowth
- Privatisation, homogenisation
- Sincerity (or lack thereof) & the effects of positivity culture
- Medical experience (I have Niemann Pick B, so have spent a lot of my life in hospitals whilst trying to resist disability defining my identity)
- Problem solving, solution finding, optimizing, using data as armour (tools turned against their masters)
- Unpicking a world structurally prone to either oversimplification or overcomplication