JOB VACANCY : Projects & Operations Manager
PART-TIME FIXED TERM CONTRACT
ABOUT TURF PROJECTS
Founded in 2013 by Croydon locals, Turf Projects is the first entirely artist-run contemporary art space in Croydon, South London. A registered charity (#1160527), Turf has supported the work of over 400 artists to date through a programme of free public exhibitions, workshops and events. Turf also run vocational skills workshops for artists, MOSS (a collective of learning disabled adult artists), Art Press (a young peoples’ collective of Croydon locals aged 14-21), a support & residency programme for Croydon School of Art students, family workshops, & projects with local schools.
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
Turf Projects is seeking a freelance part-time Projects & Operations Manager to administer and oversee the Charity’s exhibitions & commissioning programme and the management of our studio & desk spaces, and buildings & operations.
• A minimum of two years experience in project management &/or studio management.
• Experience producing & overseeing budgets.
• Experience of working with grant making bodies including but not limited to Arts Council England, and an understanding of their reporting expectations.
• Experience working with local councils.
• Grassroots organisational background, with a strong interest in the arts & communities.
• Reliable & responsible.
• Must be available to work with us during May – June 2021 and willing to travel to Turf Projects, Croydon.
• Familiarity with Croydon would be very beneficial to this role (though isn’t essential).
GALLERY & PROJECTS
• Work with the team to collaboratively develop Turf Projects’ thematic approach to its public programme.
• Implement main projects & exhibitions in gallery, project space & outdoor commissioning notice boards (Fungus Press).
• Oversee artist contracts and funding agreements
• Coordinate installation & de-installation of exhibitions & logistics including transportation, insurance & sales and documentation as required.
• Managing budgets.
• Evaluating and project reporting to funding bodies, sponsors, Board of Trustees.
BUILDINGS & OPERATIONS
• Cultivation and management of studio & desk membership schemes, including studio enquiries & vacancies, contracts & handover.
• Attend Turf artist studio visits programmed by Artist Development Lead, and offer secondary support on studio programme.
• Management of hosted organisations & hires in unit including raising invoices for bills, drawing up contracts or Licence Agreements.
• Ensuring all insurances are up-to-date (public liability, contents and employers, trustee indemnity).
• General upkeep and maintenance for unit including management of contractors for electrical & building work etc, ensuring units are kept clean and tidy and in compliance with health and safety regulations set out in lease(s), ensuring electrical and lighting is in order and checked regularly.
• Adhere to Turf Projects’ and the Charity Commission’s policies on finance. management, code of conduct, conflict of interest, health and safety, equal opportunities & safeguarding.
• Attend and participate in Board meetings and Sub-Committee meetings as required.
Turf Projects’ Co-Directors & Yusuf Osman, Chair of Board of Trustees
• 2 month fixed term (1 May – 30 June 2021), on self-employed / freelance basis
• This role is funded through Arts Council England and pay will be at £142.50 per day (including VAT) at 8 days per month. With a view to extend the contract funding dependent.
• Any holiday taken/ alterations to normal working hours should be agreed at least a month in advance with the Directors.
• Start date Wednesday 5 May 2021
Send a CV (including your relevant qualifications and previous working experience) with covering letter or a short pre-recorded film or voice recording if you prefer explaining why you would like this work, and a completed equal opportunities form to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications is Thursday 22nd April 5pm, with a view to conduct interviews on Wednesday 28th April via Zoom.
Turf Projects is committed to equality and diversity in its recruitment policy. Please let us know if you would like this information in an alternative format.